Friday, April 3, 2009

Do I have ears to hear?

Proverbs 3:5-6 lean on, trust in, and be confident in the Lord with all your heart and mind and do not rely on your own insight or understanding. In all your ways know, recognize, and acknowledge [submit to] Him, and He will direct and make straight and plain your paths. (The Amplified Bible)


It has been made abundantly clear to me, that because of the gifts the Lord has given to me (a fair measure of intelligence) that I have gotten to the point where I am answering questions about scripture from my own understanding (The comment that was told to me was,” Lisa, that was all from your head, and absolutely nothing from the Spirit”). So my latest “assignment” from God right now is to sit down, and shut up…and just listen. To have “ears to hear”. I’ve spent so much time over the years studying the bible-that I know it pretty well. At times I can be a walking, talking concordance. If some one asks the question” Do you know where to find the scripture that says…?” Invariably I pipe right up and answer the question. So I manage to single handedly build myself up as some kind of biblical know-it-all and I shut down anyone else from even taking a crack at coming up with the answer (relying on my own insight). Not a real good way to build the body of Christ.


It is amazing to see that at last weeks Wednesday bible study, I kept quiet. I let everyone else add their comments. It was amazing to watch…everyone participated, even people who usually don’t speak up. The insights brought forward were great. It was a very productive study (and very Spirit lead). Wow, that was embarrassing…and my pastor (the gentleman that he is) never said a word…yeah, he knows what is going on (he was the one to give the comment!). I had not been being sensitive to the “still small voice” within me that had been saying “Lisa, please be quiet”, until it took someone to tell me to just shut up! As the Apostle Paul says in 1 Corinthians 12:20-22 “But now there are many members, but one body. And the eye cannot say to the hand, ‘I have no need of you’; or again the head to the feet, ‘I have no need of you.’ On the contrary, it is much truer that the members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary. (New American Standard) And by my being an over-bearing, pain in the butt, no one else would even try; why should anyone else try to answer if I always know the answer. I was quenching the Spirit. OK, I learned my lesson…so for the foreseeable future, I’ll just sit there and be quiet. I just remember that Proverbs 17:28 says; Even a fool, when he keeps silent, is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is counted prudent. OUCH!

No comments: