Saturday, April 18, 2009

Gifts,Treasures and Gold

Isaiah 54:11-12
O afflicted one, storm-tossed, and not comforted, behold I will set your stones in antimony. And your foundations I will lay in sapphires. Moreover, I will make your battlements of rubies, and your gates of crystal, and your entire wall of precious stones.

I have been thinking about the gifts that God has given me, and I think of them as if they are precious stones. Some are already cut gems, beautiful and sparkling. Others are still in the rough cut state, waiting for finishing; but I can see the potential there. And the last I found originally as a hard black rock, but when the outer cover began to chip off, it revealed a gorgeous stone under the garbage; and I didn’t even know it was there.

OK, so now I see these gems; what do I do with them? I see how God is refining me, like gold. He is taking me through the purification process; but that will leave me as an ingot of gold…Pretty but not terribly useful. Just like these gems are; pretty to look at but what do you do with them?

So that’s where I give the whole thing to God…Because He is not only the refiner; He is also the Master Craftsman. So He can create out of the gifts He has given me something useful for the building up of the Kingdom of God…Not to bring me glory, but to bring Him glory.

An interesting thought; as I was meditating on the idea of “less of me, more of Him”; and as believers, we are all compared over and over again to gold…Did you know that gold is so malleable that it can be hammered into sheets so thin that you can see through them.

So am I willing to be so “thin” that God’s light can shine through?

2 Corinthians 3:18 And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into His image with ever increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.(TNIV)

No comments: