Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Problem with Short Cuts

Romans 12:3
For by the grace given me I say to everyone of you; do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you.(TNIV)

Let me give you a little background about me…about a year and a half ago God “really” set me free. In this freedom, I found out that despite what I was always told, I am smart. Yes, when I was a child I over-heard a conversation that went “don’t be so hard on Lisa, she just doesn’t understand math.” So to me, I figured that I was stupid about everything (you know, “dumb blond”). Now understand, I am not looking for sympathy…just so you understand where I am coming from.

Now fast forward to February this year; and being back in college…when I heard God tell me very clearly “study philosophy”…to which I immediately replied;”but Lord, I don’t have time!” But I started acquiring some books (which I have just barely started, time management not being one of my strong suits). And much to my surprise, two weeks ago; who shows up at our Wednesday bible study, but a friend of our pastor’s…a semi-retired philosophy professor. So after a couple of absolutely fascinating discussions, and a really cool paper he emailed me, he hands me another book to read. But all the while, I’m thinking…you know, I can just pick his brain and maybe just skip reading all these books (but understand I do love to read) and I can take a short cut. So we start to exchange emails…and I get complemented for my insightful questions, so getting bolder I start picking holes in his answers (whoops) because I was having fun trying to start an argument…So the last email was another paper to read and a caution to be careful, and completely ignored my smart-allick silly arguments.

So as God continued to deal with me through this whole thing…I get the message…finding out I’m smart is not so I can be ridiculous at a whole new level, but to be patient and spend time learning and allowing God to give me wisdom to apply to the new things I am learning. Because like the parable of the seed…If I spring up quickly, I’ll just burn up because I have no depth of roots; but if am good soil and allow the seed to grow up gradually, I’ll receive the hundred fold harvest.

But I can almost use “epistemological” in a complete sentence!

Proverbs 4:7-9
The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. Cherish her, and she will exalt you; embrace her, and she will honor you. She will give you a garland to grace your head and present you with a glorious crown.

No comments: