Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Bringing it with me, or leaving it behind?

Genesis 12:1
Now the Lord said to Abram, Go forth from your country, and from your relatives and from your father’s house to the land which I will show you;

You know, I had an interesting thought today…as I was gazing across a large expanse of Kentucky Blue grass lawn…I reflected on the fact that here we are in high desert plateau and often in drought conditions, and obviously an East-coast person brought their idea of what landscaping should be like in the fairly inhospitable climate of Colorado. The thought then hit me, you know so often we say we want to “leave it all behind us”… yet what do we do but bring it all with us.

We say we need a change…but do we really mean it?
Exodus 2:23 “…And the sons of Israel sighed because of the bondage, and they cried out; and their cry for help because of their bondage rose up to God.”

So again we all know the story…The plagues, and the Passover and the ultimate deliverance...The children of Israel set free from 400 years of slavery…(my “slavery” was only 20 years or so) and in the desert, after seeing miracle after miracle…still the people complained “…Would that we had died by the Lord’s hand in the land of Egypt, when we sat by the pots of meat , when we ate bread to the full; for you have brought us out into this wilderness to kill the whole assembly with hunger.” (Exodus 16:3)

Lord, really it was easier when I was in bondage…I didn’t have to think, I had the excuse of slavery…really Lord, this freedom thing is just not what it is cracked up to be…I’ve never worked so hard at being free. Wow, I don’t want to try; I’ll just go back to slavery, because it was easier. I was content! (I really didn’t cry for help) I don’t want to trust you…I need the old, familiar routine…You know the old saw, “better the devil you know than the one you don’t.”

Like that grand expanse of lawn, I want things to look the same, feel the same…be the same. But I have to walk in the New Life; and that means a whole new way of living in obedience to God. So I need to evaluate the climate, and challenges, And I must realize that this is a whole new way of life…so how about switching to drought tolerant plants?

Hebrews 12:12-13 Therefore, strengthen the hands that are weak and the knees that are feeble, and make straight paths for your feet, so that the limb which is lame may not be put out of joint, but rather be healed.

No comments: