Saturday, May 23, 2009

I Need Patience...Right Now!

Luke 8:15 (Amp.) But as for that [seed]in the good soil, these are [the people] who, hearing the Word, hold it fast in a just (noble, virtuous) and worthy heart, and steadily bring forth fruit with patience.

While having lunch just the other day with my father, I made the comment, “Well, I just need to be patient.” To which my father replied, “Well, you certainly don’t get that from me!”

So I started thinking about patience. Obviously patience is not genetic; it seems that the only way we get patience is as a part of the gifts of the Spirit as listed in Galatians 5:22-23 “…love, joy, peace, patience…” Clearly, patience is a part of the “fruit of the Spirit.”

But what is patience?

The dictionary definition is “...The capacity to endure hardship, difficulty or inconvenience with out complaint. Patience emphasizes calmness, self-control, and the willingness or ability to tolerate delay.” (Houghton Mifflin on line dictionary)

So as I face “hardship, difficulty or inconvenience”, how much do I trust God? Do I really understand that in all these things that I have to face, God really is in control. Can I take a deep breath, and try to find the lesson in a particular trial, or maybe the particular trial is to simply test my patience. So where is my faith?

As the Apostle Paul wrote, “For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 1:6)

But I find that as I exercise my faith in God, it does tend to lower my blood pressure if I simply remind myself that God really does know what He is doing (even if I am clueless!)

All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful, yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness. (Hebrews 12:11)

No comments: