Thursday, May 7, 2009

My Battle?

Psalm 71:1-4
In Thee, O Lord, I have taken refuge; let me never be ashamed. In Thy righteousness deliver me, and rescue me; incline Thine ear to me, and save me. Be Thou to me a rock of habitation, to which I may continually come; Thou hast given commandment to save me, for Thou art my rock and my fortress. Rescue me, O my God, out of the hand of the wicked, out of the grasp of the wrongdoer and ruthless man.

How do you know when to be aggressive and when do you submit? As a woman I was hammered into the mold of “always” submitting to the perceived authority of men. Unfortunately for me, it was pretty much in all things.

Now praise God, I understand boundaries; and my worth as a human being. But with the new confidence as a person with worth and value in the eyes of God; I want to go over board, to press my rights…Basically to do things in my own strength. I want to force other people to “see my worth”, to stand my ground and fight for my rights. I want people to see my gifting and my calling. Of course this leads me right into a vision of my future as one unrelenting battle; as I have to face obstacle after obstacle, without any support; on my own. And I quail in the face of that –Oh God, how can you ask me to face this future?

Then I remember John 16:33 where Jesus reminds me, “These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.”

And I take heart; Jesus, You have overcome! You won the victory! I don’t have to struggle. I just walk forward- and You will take away the barriers and obstacles. The peace that passes all understanding washed over me, and I feel the familiar joy rising up in me as I remember the chorus of my favorite hymn:

Great is Thy faithfulness, great is Thy faithfulness.
Morning by morning new mercies I see. All I have needed Thy hand hath provided,
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord unto me.[i]

*Amen*

[i] Chisholm & Runyan (1951) Great is Thy Faithfulness, Hope Publishing Co.

No comments: