Friday, May 29, 2009

What is the Right Path?

“I shall remember the deeds of the Lord; Surely I will remember Thy wonders of old; I will meditate on all Thy work, and muse on Thy deeds. Thy way, O God is holy; What god is great like you God? Thou art the God who workest wonders…”
“Thy way was in the sea, and Thy paths in the mighty waters and Thy footprints may not be known. Thou didst lead thy people like a flock,…” (Psalm 77:11-14, 19-20)

After another round of being tested and finally having the hamster-wheel of doubts and questions silenced; I am left with the single question, “What is the right path?”

One possible answer is this: Following your dreams and goals while remembering Jesus by praying daily and going to church once a week…that will keep you on the right path. After all, you are a Christian and that means that as long as you go to church and pray, you get to decide what you do in your life. Then Jesus will help you do what ever you want to do.

Another possible answer is this: You think you are given a goal for your life by Jesus, and you make that your destination. You fix your eyes on the goal, while praying to Jesus to help you reach the goal. You submit to Jesus and rely on Him to work through you to reach the goal you think that He has given you. You and Jesus become a team to reach the destination.

Now there may be other answers, I’m sure an infinite number…but I have one final answer.

I make Jesus the path, the dream, the goal…the final destination. My entire focus is on You Lord, and nothing else. I ask myself now, “So how do I do that?” and “What does that look like?”

Now I am truly lost…Now comes the fullness of walking by faith…Because I can not use any references. I can not look to anyone else, because I am unique; no one else looks like me, no one else can be me; and therefore there is no one else that is like me enough that I can follow. I have no one to use as an example.

But since I am made in the image of God, the imago Dei, I do have an example…the only one perfect person in whose image I am made. Jesus; the Word Made Flesh, the Christ… Fully God/fully human.

So that is the right path.

And if I know the destination, which is Jesus; then I don’t have to worry what happens along the way.

So as I am given choices of things to do and ideas to pursue; when reaching these junctures in the road I will ask myself the one key question: “How will this help me to get to my destination?”

Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance, and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, Fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12:1-2)

No comments: