Friday, June 5, 2009

Defining Refining

Zechariah 13:9” This third I will bring into the fire; I will refine them like silver and test them like gold. They will call on My name and I will answer them; I will say, ‘They are My people,’ and they will say, ’The Lord is our God.’”(Today’s New International Version)

According to Webster’s New World College Dictionary; the definition of refine is “to make fine or pure; free from impurities, dross, alloy, sediment: purify; clarify” (2009)

Do you know how gold and silver are refined? The ore is first heated to extreme temperatures (2000 degrees) to leave you with an ore charge. This lump; which is a mix of lead, silver and gold, is then placed into a special crucible called a cupel. This is then put back into an oven and heated again to over 1700 degrees and the impurities (mostly lead) are burned off. You are then left with a bead of gold mixed with silver. (The Gold Vault, 2001)

So when the heat is turned up in our lives; remember what God is trying to do for us. Romans 8:17-18 says,” Now if we are children [of God], then we are heirs-heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in His suffering in order that we may also share in His glory. I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.”

So what is God trying to reveal in you?

Jesus, help me to see how you are purifying me my taking me through the furnace. I know if I trust You, You will bring me out the other side of this fiery trial. And like Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, I will not even have the smell of smoke on me! Amen

No comments: