Friday, July 3, 2009

Weeding the Garden



Isaiah 51:3 Indeed, the Lord will comfort Zion; He will comfort all her waste places. And her wilderness He will make like Eden, and her desert like the garden of the Lord; joy and gladness will be found in her, thanksgiving and sound of a melody.

I am so excited! I now have my very own ministry! Yep, I now minister to the rose garden at my church. I am including a before picture so you get the idea. The gardens around the church have not been really cared for in well over three years (and frankly I think longer than that), but although it is going to be a ton of work; I am so glad to have the chance to do this. And I had forgotten how much I enjoy gardening and the outdoor physical work…I grew up on a small farm and did spend years working on horse farms…so I do know a little about caring for gardens.

But as I got started with the first section of weeding and pruning, I realized that this is why I need to be patient in my own life and with the desire I have to serve God, I am not ready. Like this garden, I have been un-weeded and un-pruned for over 12 years. I had a few straggly blooms bravely trying to come out, but for the most part I have been fallow. Now I am back with the Lord, and the real work has to begin; the weeding, and pruning, and re-planting…the list is huge and will take a long time. If you get the picture of a fallow field, un-planted for years; you have weeds, small unplanned trees, briars and rocks brought up by the frost. So my spirit is a mess. But on the bright side, if you know anything about farming, you know that the “soil” of my life actually has had a rest and now with clearing will be ready to be used. But like the garden; the clearing will take time.

So maybe an analogy can be like planting perennials…First year is resting, second year is root growth and third year is top growth…So we’ll see.

John 15:1-2 I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit, He takes away, and every branch that bears fruit, He prunes it, that it may bear more fruit.

No comments: