Sunday, September 6, 2009

Road Maps

John 14:26 “But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

I was heading down to a new friend’s house a couple of weeks ago and so I just went to Yahoo maps and printed off a map of her neighborhood, thinking, “No problem, I can find this.” After five miles out of my way, and two consecutive wrong turns, I found her house…then upon leaving and trying to head for home, made a couple more “long-cuts” to get back to the highway.

Last week having to deliver dinner to a new, but home bound member of my church…I again looked up the address on Yahoo maps; but this time I requested step-by-step directions. Wow, what a difference; it was so easy, I didn’t make any wrong turns, and I found the apartment with out any problems. As I was contemplating this, I said; “ That was so easy! I didn’t get lost at all…what a breeze!”

Then it occurred to me…you know we all have a road map for life; and it is called the Bible. And with that “map” we can all get to were we need to be…but if we had step-by-step directions…some one to tell us which highway to turn on or remind us that up at this intersection we need to take a right; that would make the whole journey a joy, not a trial and struggle.

As Christians we have our own step-by-step directions; the Holy Spirit, who will lead us into all truth. In Isaiah 30:21 it is written, ”Whether you turn to the right or the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying ‘This is the way; walk in it’”

With the map for our lives, the Bible; we need specific direction and orientations that are just for us…because each of us are starting at a different point in our unique journeys in life; but we are all headed to the same destination. When we meditate and study the Word of God, it truly is “…a Lamp to my feet and a light for my path” (Psalm 119:105). So we will have a clear, and lighted path and directions to where we are headed.

No comments: