Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Contentment

Today I spent some time thinking on the subject of contentment. In my own life, I seem to have come to a place in my walk with God where I find that I am in a place of great contentment. So I tried to figure out what has made such a difference. I am not saying I am some great example of the virtues, for I am not. I don’t hold some extraordinary powers of faith. Yes, God has brought me through some terrible trials, and I have seen the growth after the fact. In doing a “survey” of my life right now, I see so clearly that my needs are met…with out any doubt. I have a roof over my head, a very comfy bed, nice cloths, a full refrigerator, a paid for car, a good job, I’m doing well in school, I now have some really interesting friends…and no TV hookup! I am not enslaved by cable, and the hundreds of advertisements telling me of things I simply cannot live without—every 5 minutes. I am not bombarded with a miasma of commercials and sound bites subtly saying I simply cannot compete with the “Jones” with out the latest and greatest way to empty my wallet. I don’t worry about depression, I don’t worry about wearing the latest’s designer label clothes, or the right deodorant/perfume, nor worry that I can’t catch the “right” man; and no one is implying that there is anything wrong with curling up with a good book! (Yes, Amazon.com loves me!) My life is more fulfilling than I ever could have imagined—all without having Television.
Just so you know, I have now gone nearly two years cable free, and my personal library continues to grow, and I have never been more prolific as a painter. It is truly amazing how much you can accomplish with out extraneous “noise” in your life.

Why not join me?

2 comments:

Christina Langella said...

Amen! This is beautiful. Jerry Bridges says in his book, "The Practice of Godliness" that contentment is one of the most distinguishing traits of the godly person. "The contented person experiences the sufficiency of God's provision for his needs and the sufficiency of God's grace for his circumstances." What an encouragement this post is! God bless you!

Lisa said...

And Paul also said, "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what is is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strenght. (Philippians 4:12-13) and remember that Paul was in prison when he wrote that.