Sunday, June 6, 2010

Choices

From the epilogue of JP Moreland’s book “The God Question

I offer you my final invitation. You are on a journey—that is not a choice, but the path you take is. I place before you what I believe are the two most plausible choices available. Some have tried to soften the atheistic, naturalist option by adding absolute values and other bells and whistles to it, but they are implausible, ad hoc revisions of atheism that do not sit well with it. And some would opt for a different form of theism, such as Islam. But based on all the available evidence, they are nowhere near as reasonable to believe as Christianity. Here, then are your two pathways. Ponder them wisely and choose well.

Bertrand Russell(1872-1970) gives a nice description of atheism:

That man is the product of causes which had no prevision of the end they were achieving; that his origin, his growth, his hopes and fears, his loves and his beliefs are but the outcome of accidental collocations of atoms; that no fire, nor heroism, no intensity of thought and feeling, can preserve an individual life beyond the grave; that all the labors of the ages, all the devotion, all the inspiration, all the noonday brightness of human genius, are destined to extinction in the vast death of the solar system; and that the whole temple of man’s achievement must inevitably be buried beneath the debris of a universe in ruins—all these things, if not quite beyond dispute, are yet so nearly certain that no philosophy which rejects them can hope to stand. Only within the scaffolding of these truths, only on the firm foundation of unyielding despair, can the soul’s habitation henceforth be safely built.

Here is the other choice, stated nicely by St. Patrick (AD 387-493):

I arise today in a mighty strength, calling upon the Trinity, believing in the Three Persons, saying they are One, thanking my Creator.

I arise today strengthened by Christ’s own baptism, made strong by His crucifixion and His burial, made strong by His resurrection and ascension, made strong by His descent to meet me on the day of doom…

I arise today with God’s strength to pilot me, God’s might to uphold me, God’s wisdom to guide me, God’s eye to look ahead for me, God’s ear to hear me, God’s word to speak for me, God’s hand to defend me, God’ way to lie before me, God’s shield to protect me, God’s host to safeguard me: against devil’s traps, against attraction of sin, against pull of nature , against all who wish me ill near and far, alone and in a crowd…

Christ ever with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me Christ within me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ to my right side, Christ to my left, Christ in His breadth, Christ in His length, Christ in depth, Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me, Christ in the mouth of every man who speaks of me, Christ in every eye that sees me Christ in every ear that hears me.

I arise today in mighty strength, making in my mouth the Trinity, believing in mind Three Person, confessing in heart they are One, thanking my Creator. Salvation is from the Lord. Salvation is from the Lord. Salvation is from Christ. May your salvation, three Lords, Be always with us. (pp 259-261)

J.P. Moreland (2009). The God Question. Eugene, OR. Harvest House Publishers.

No comments: