Saturday, October 23, 2010

What Did Jeremiah Recall?

If you are a student of your Bible and have read it cover to cover, you know from the history of Israel, the time of Jeremiah the prophet and his cry against Judah warning of the judgment of God against them for their apostasy. Along with Isaiah and the other prophets, he warned of the calamities coming.

Then in Jeremiah’s writings we have The Lamentations of Jeremiah where his woe pours out over the condition of Jerusalem and how the whole of the nation is now crushed. He also laments over his own personal suffering as a servant of God.

Jeremiah writes this:

I have become a laughingstock to all my people, their mocking song all the day. He has filled me with bitterness, He has make me drunk with wormwood. And He has broken my teeth with gravel; He has made me cower in the dust. And my soul has been rejected from peace; I have forgotten happiness. So I say, “My strength has perished, and so has my hope from the Lord.” Remembering my affliction and my wandering, the wormwood and bitterness. Surely my soul remembers and is bowed down within me. (Lamentations 3: 14-20)

Think just a moment of the horrendous trials faced by the prophet in trying to be obedient to God…slapped, beaten, put in stocks, thrown in jail, and left to die in a cistern, and finally dragged against his will to Egypt; the very place God told his people not to go…So Jeremiah and the people of God are suffering together.

But read the next verses:

This I recall to my mind, therefore I have hope, the lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, for His compassions never fail, they are new every morning; great is Thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion, says my soul, therefore I have hope in Him. (vv 21-24)

What was he recalling to his mind?

Was he recalling the writings of Moses and the Exodus of God delivering the Children of Israel from over 400 years of slavery?

Was he recalling the wanderings in the wilderness? How God cared for those people, taught them, and led them into the Promised Land?

Or did he recall prophesy given to him by God showing him the future and the “New Covenant” where God would finally put his laws within his chosen people. (Jeremiah 31:33-34) Did he know and understand the writings of Isaiah and his prophesy regarding God’s “suffering servant” taking the iniquity of the people on Himself?(Isaiah 53) The true deliverance of God’s people by the shed blood of the Lamb slain since the foundation of the world; God’s own Son to take away the sin of the world.

As my own world seems to be turning to ashes around me, can I look to the fulfilled prophesy in the Bible; seen by Jeremiah, Isaiah, and all the other saints of old who saw the coming Messiah; our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ…and in the midst of all the chaos…Rejoice.

When my heart was embittered, and I was pierced within, then I was senseless and ignorant; I was like a beast before Thee. Nevertheless I am continually with Thee; Thou hast taken hold of my right hand. With thy counsel Thou wilt guide me, and afterward receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but Thee? And besides Thee, I desire nothing on earth. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. For, behold, those who are far from Thee will perish; Thou hast destroyed all those who are unfaithful to Thee. But as for me, the nearness of God is my good; I have made the Lord God my refuge, that I may tell of all Thy works. Psalm 73: 21-28

5 comments:

Christina Langella said...

I don't know how you managed to put this piece together in such a short time and in the midst of everything else. This is beautiful and it is encouragement --- "Great is Thy Faithfulness"!

I love you!

Lisa said...

I started writing it last night. I already had the outline. When I get these things, they tend to write themselves. I am humbled by this gift. God is good, and his mercies endure forever!

Christina Langella said...

Amen.

May His grace and mercy cover you today.

May He hear your hearts cry and answer you in His lovingkindness.

Love and blessings.

Becky said...

Christina, invited me to come and read. I am glad I did.

Blessings!

Lisa said...

Becky,
Thank you...what a blessing! You are welcome.