Sunday, December 12, 2010

Avery Dulles from "The Gospels as Confessional Documents"




Jesus Himself, as He lives in the pages of the New Testament, addresses Himself to men. As I read of Him conversing with Peter or Pilate, Mary or John, I become conscious that He is also speaking to me, demanding from me the unqualified surrender of faith. This is not a mere piece of dramatic artifice, but a dreadfully serious challenge. The Evangelists themselves, and the Church through them, solemnly guarantee the reality of Christ’s call. The Gospels, therefore, confront the reader with an existential choice. Either I must accept Jesus, with His sovereign demands upon me, or I must refuse what He asks. To look upon Him with mere interest, to remain deliberately uncommitted, is in effect to reject Him. “He who does not believe shall be condemned” (Mark 16:16) p.34

From: Apologetics and the Biblical Christ. Avery Dulles (1971) Paramus, NJ: Newman Press.

No comments: