Sunday, July 15, 2012

Whitewash?


The sermon today was on Acts 23:1-11, which is where the Apostle Paul is brought before the “informal” meeting of the Sanhedrin as called by the Roman officials.

But a point that caught my attention was Paul’s accusation to the High Priest of his being a “…white washed wall…” (Acts 23:3) which seems to be pointing to both the accusation made by Jesus to the Pharisees (“…white washed tombs…filled with dead men’s bones…” (Matthew 23:27) and the pick-up the pastor added pointed to a much earlier prophesy by Ezekiel 13:10 -11and14 which reads,
“It is definitely because they have misled My people by saying ‘Peace!’ when there is no peace.  And when anyone builds a wall, behold, they plaster it over with whitewash; so tell those who plaster it over with whitewash, that it will fall…So I will tear down the wall which you plastered over with whitewash and bring it down to the ground, so that its foundation is laid bare; and when it falls, you will be consumed in its midst.  And you will know that I am the Lord.”
But I began to think about to “whitewash” something: to cover over without fixing what’s underneath.

I remember the “old” basement of the house I grew up in, where the original part of the house was 200 years old.  The basement portion of that home was built of field stone and cement with a thick layer of whitewash over it.

As a girl, I recall finding a chunk of whitewash that fell off and I stuck my finger into the hole…it was full of soft, crumbling dust.  The mortar holding the rocks together was falling apart.

So what am I whitewashing over in my life?

Is my foundation solid and strong, or covered over with a thick layer of whitewash covering a lot of crumbling dust?

“For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, God’s building.  According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each man must be careful how he builds on it.  For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.” (1 Corinthians 3:9-11)

No comments: