Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Irrigation or Rain from Heaven?


Deuteronomy 11:10-11 “For the land, into which you are entering in to possess it, is not like the land of Egypt from which you came, where you used to sow your seeds and water it with your foot like a vegetable garden.  But the land into which you are about to cross to possess it, a land of hills and valleys, drinks water from the rain of heaven.”




Egyptian Shaduff
Watch this short clip (sorry about the commercial) to get an idea how the ancient people of Egypt (and of course the Israelite slaves) would water crops “… with your foot…” or as I believe, using your own muscle power (and animal power) to water the crops needed to feed all the people.


What I think God is promising the “Children of Israel” as they get ready to enter the "Promise Land," is that they will have to trust God to bring rain to water the seeds they are sowing. They will have to trust God for the growth, instead of the work of their own hands to bring the water that will germinate the seeds.

I saw the difference in trust being asked.  So I asked myself this question; do I work hard and then ask God to bless what I’ve done?  Or am I willing to look to him first, to seek his way of doing things in my daily life to be able to receive his blessing in his time.

And most days, I’m not quite sure how to do this. So I try to walk forward reaching for his “hand”, in a manner of speaking, to keep me trusting him to be there, to take my hand and lead me where He wants me to be.

No comments: