Sunday, October 20, 2013

Looking at Mountains again


Lately, I've been feeling like I am faced with road block after road block. Just about the time I think I have a breakthrough, another obstacle is in my path.


But as I was waiting for the bus on the way home from church today, I could see in the distance the top of the ridge above the Flat Irons; a bit of light shining on it, among a swirl of clouds.

I said to myself, “I want to climb that someday.”

A voice (maybe God, maybe my own voice) said “Why?”

I answered, “Because I like the challenge. The view from the top of the mountain is amazing.”

Then the small voice inside said, “Why are you in college, studying philosophy, when you could have finished your degree almost two years ago, and been working in a safe, 40 hour/week job, and a two week vacation after 5 years or so?”

And I realized that all that I’ve been complaining and crying about are those tough spots in the trail; when I have made it past the tree line, and the trail is steep, the air is thin, I’m really tired.

But:

This is a “mountain” I chose to climb. (God gave me other choices.)
I can turn around and see how far I’ve come and I can look ahead and see the summit.



So even if I have to take a longer route to get to the top of this particular "mountain", God is with me, and I know with his help I will make it to the top.




I found some more great words on mountains posted on Bonita Jewel's blog "What's the Purpose of Life" here.

2 comments:

machinephilosophy said...

Just keep going, pedal to the metal.

Whatever bothers you most in philosophy in terms of challenging your most basic beliefs, concentrate on that to the extreme.

Whoever reads the most, wins.

Cheers

Lisa Guinther said...

Yep-I'm digging hard into the works of Thomas Nagle right now.

But I'm trying to catch up with you on the book reading.

;-)