Thursday, December 31, 2015

New Year's Prayer: "The Fruit of the Spirit."


We have reached the end of another year, and are collectively asking what this New Year will bring.


Personally, I have reached the end of an amazing, challenging, life-changing struggle to finally finish my undergraduate degree, and with God’s help I even was awarded magna cum laude in philosophy from the University of Colorado Boulder.

This is beyond anything I could have hoped or prayed for, and I am grateful.


The parties are over and the celebrations are ended, I have put my souvenirs and 'trophies' away, but I keep my metal pinned to my bulletin board by my desk. I still have filing to do and year-end clearing out of my closet, the studio has been tidied, the floor swept and mopped, even my sock drawer is organized…but it is time to move on.

For the coming year, I would like to share a prayer that is a bit of a meditation on the "Fruit of the Spirit."


 Dear Lord, you have given me the fruit of your Spirit to not only manifest your grace in my life, but to work through me to minister to the marvelous beings around me; both human and animals.

I pray that you will use me to share your Love to all your creatures,
And to spread the Joy of life each day,
To bring your Peace by listening to those who are ignored,
And to show your Patience to the stressed and pressured that I meet every day.
That I would always share your Kindness to those who are unkind,
To remember that your Goodness is not just a gift to me, but meant to be shared;
The Faithfulness that you have shown me, is meant for promises keeping,
And that the Gentleness in your dealing with me, is meant to keep both friend and neighbor. 

But Self-control is the golden setting that holds all  your marvelous “fruit” together; for your virtues are not virtuous when separated from the whole. 

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.” Galatians 5:-22-25


Happy New Year.
Lisa Guinther
Insights From the Furnace



No comments: