Sunday, January 22, 2017

The Denver Woman's March


Having grown up watching news accounts of protests against the Vietnam War and the draft; as a child I longed to join in what looked like a revolution, but what I understood later as these (mostly) peaceful protests against policies of the United States government are a part of a participatory democracy. I wanted to join in, but something as adventurous as a demonstration never seemed to make it to my tiny university town in Northeastern Pennsylvania.









So when I was invited to join in a group heading to Denver for the Woman’s March—I immediately purchased my bus ticket.

This one group from Boulder grew from four to eight buses carrying over 400 person to the center of Denver.






The first of the buses was pulling out as I arrived at the meeting point for the drive to Denver. 

I picked up my tickets and joined the line boarding the bus.







Cars driving past on Broadway were honking their horns in solidarity with the marchers. As we rode through Boulder, there were large groups of people waiting for the regional RTD buses to take them to Denver.

As we entered Denver, there were large groups of people walking towards the Civic Center Park; carrying signs and banners, flags and balloons. Our bus stopped and we thanked our driver and headed towards the park. 











There was some music playing as I walked up the steps and around the empty fountain in the middle of the park. More and more groups began to arrive; coming from all the points of the compass around that center gathering point.  I climbed up on a bench and could see a wildly colorful sea of people all converging with signs to the start of the march.




This was an amazingly cross-section of people and groups at this march. 

The people around me were discussing the clever signs. "Did you see that sign over there...?"













This felt more like a celebration than a protest.  The crowd was up-beat, and as a friend said to me later, "The fellowship was awesome!"







Here's to strong women!


The roar of the crowd was overwhelming. As the call and response rang out "Tell me what Democracy looks like" 

All the crowd responded "THIS IS WHAT DEMOCRACY LOOKS LIKE!!"




"The People United will never be divided"

"El Pueblo Unido Jamas sera vencido"

"Woman's rights are Human Rights!"








This was a profoundly moving experience.

I pray we take this momentum and put it to good use.








No comments: